1870 - Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital founded by the Sisters of Mercy at 12th and Mason Streets.
1880 - Hosptial transfered to the Sisters of Saint Francis and it was renamed Creighton Memorial St. Joseph Hospital
1892 - A new hospital was built at 10th and Castelar Streets. The hospital becomes Creighton's primary teaching hospital and remains so until it closed in 2017.
1973 - The Creighton Omaha Regional Health Care Corporation purchased St. Joseph's Hospital
1978 - The hospital moved to 30th and California Streets.
1984 - American Medical International (AMI) acquired the hospital; Tenet Healthcare acquired American Medical in 1995.
2002 - The hospital was renamed Creighton University Medical Center.
2012 - Tenent and Creighton University sold the hospital to Alegent Health (now CHI Health)
2017 - The hospital closed and CHI Health Creighton University Medical Center -- Bergan Mercy (7500 Mercy Road) became the Creighton teaching hospital and trauma center.
2017 - A community health center with a 24 hour emergency room, Creighton University Medical Center - University Campus, was also opened at 24th and Cuming streets in order to continue serving the downtown and northeast Omaha communities.
This collection gathers a variety of materials and memorabilia related to the history of the Creighton Memorial St. Joseph’s Hospital.
The Rev. Erik Alfred Fogelstrom came to Nebraska in 1879 to serve as pastor of Immanuel Lutheran Church, which served the Swedish community in Omaha. In 1887 the Evangelical Lutheran Immanuel Association for Works for Charity was organized on the initiative of Pastor Fogelstrom. The Association began building the hospital in 1888 and it was completed in 1890.
(Archbishop Bergan Mercy Hospital, Omaha, Nebraska, 1975) Community Relations Department, Bergan Mercy Hospital
DEDICATION|This booklet is dedicated to the employees, medical staff, volunteers and other persons associated with Archbishop Bergan Mercy Hospital in recognition of their outstanding devotion to duty before, during and following the tornado of May 6, 1975.|Their unselfish service to the safety of patients, to the care of the injured, and to the continued operation of the entire hospital under the most difficult circumstances merits our highest praise.|We recognize that their steadfastness and concern prevented these scenes of destruction from becoming stories of human tragedy.|The Board of Directors Archbishop Bergan Mercy Hospital
(Dept of Public Affairs and Marketing, Immanuel Medical Center, 1987) Gurney, Philip
Introduction: On October 8, 1987, Immanuel Medical Center marks the 100th anniversary of its founding. The intent of this publication is to set the centennial scene by presenting highlights of the institution’s remarkable history and climaxing with a look at today’s impressive medical center.|From the historical perspective there have been two founding periods. The first led to Immanuel Deaconess Institute, that venerable health care institution which served some 85 years at 34th and Meredith Avenue. The second built on that foundation and evolved into Immanuel Medical Center, relocating June 29, 1974, to its present magnificent 166-acre site which encompasses 601 health care beds and a community of upwards of 2500 persons.|Transition has accompanied the century of time, yet many constants have persisted which would make Immanuel still recognizable to the founder: There is the diversity of services, regional in nature, to provide care for a wide spectrum of health needs. The multiple facilities to carry out this care. The continuing enhancement of medical treatment practices. Professional medical care education. A pervasive concern for the individual person. A declared dedication to God. An active affiliation with the church. A profound sense of responsibility in all actions. Thrift and financial stability. A stewardship commitment to the continuity of Immanuel and its avowed mission.
This is our report for 1976. Aerial photographs of our vital physical facilities dominate the front and back covers of the report. But, exterior pictures of buildings (particularly those taken more than 1,000 feet away) seldom convey the evidence of the very human activities and programs at work in the building and in the surrounding countryside. Telling you about people and the care which they gave, received and supported during 1976 is the job of the pages between our covers.|The structure nearing completion on the front cover symbolizes concepts of progressive healthcare and the challenge of meeting the area’s physical, emotional and spiritual needs--tasks we share with our neighbors: Creighton University, Boys Town Institute for Communication Disorders in Children, Downtown Omaha and the suburban and rural region we serve|The venerable buildings shown on the back cover stand as reminders of our vibrant regional mental health center as well as our heritage and commitment to ongoing healthcare programs for the more than a million-and-a-half patients and the region we have served so many years. Between front and back covers, then, is our real story-the story of people caring for people, life, the quality of life and a year of accomplishment. We invite you to read our report and share the pride we have in the people at Saint Joseph.
From the first page:|The year 1975 has been recorded as a “vintage year” for Saint Joseph Hospital. While a new medical center was being constructed on the western edge of the Creighton University campus at 30th and California Streets, new programs were being initiated in the facilities that have served us well for nearly a century. Some of these are described in this report.|In this Bicentennial Year it is appropriate to emphasize the blending of old traditions and new innovations. As we look back and as we look ahead, there are many reasons to be proud of this institution. New technology, new methods and the ever changing character of our work provides new challenges. We accept these challenges with confidence.